- Go through all biogs, update all images, add births and deaths catagóirí, add signatures. (up thru Aibreáin done on Laethanta Roghnaithe).
- Add boscaí sonraí to all biogs, one at a time :)
Hi. I have been pulling the occasional British Army military intelligence file for pollies of the 1920s and sticking them at Commons. Is it okay to add them as images to the pollies files, been doing it at enWP hoping that they will be of interest? Did an example at special:diff/967861, and the files are at c:Category:Military intelligence files. Tripping over them as I transcribe s:en:Thom's Irish Who's Who. Buzz me if it is preferred NOT to happen. I am not putting descriptive legends, as I am not a Gaelic speaker. Billinghurst (plé) 13:08, 23 Iúil 2020 (UTC)
- GRMA as do chúnamh anseo inniu. Roinneadh a lán leis na teimpléadaí le déanaí. Sin rud nach bhfuil ach fíorbheagán eolais agam faoi. Bhí an chuma ar an scéal gur daoine iontaofa ó Vicipéid eile a rinne (riarthóir amháin, ceapaim), agus go díreach nuair a bhíothas ag obair ar na bealaigh nua le húsáid a bhaint as bunsonnachur Wikidata. Bhí amhras orm mar sin féin. SeoMac (plé) 23:48, 4 Deireadh Fómhair 2020 (UTC)
Alison, a chara, seo an plé a bhí ar siúl san Halla Baile! Llywelyn2000 is my friend from Wales Robin Owain.
He is Wikimedia UK Manager in Wales and can be contacted at the following; (0044) 7967814334 / (0044) 207 065 0990
@WiciCymru, Email: email@example.com )
"A chairde, roinnt blianta ó shin, rinne mé obair in éineacht leis an Ollamh Matt Hussey agus leis an bhfoilsitheoir Coiscéim chun an chiclipéid eolaíochta Fréamh an Eolais a chur ar fáil anseo. Bhí Úsáideoir:Ériugena i dteagmháil le Coiscéim le déanaí, agus dúirt siad go mbeidís sásta pictiúir dá gcuid leabhar, chomh maith le sonraí éagsúla (teideal, údar, b'fhéidir achoimre, srl), a chur ar fáil le foilsiú ar an Vicipéid. Creidim go mbeadh sé úsáideach níos mó leathanach a bhaineann le leabhair Ghaeilge a fheiceáil anseo. Ba mhaith linn an plean seo a phlé le riarthóirí na Vicipéide i dtús báire. I measc na rudaí le plé ná Polasaí "Suntasachta" na Vicipéide seo. Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil polasaí níos doichte ó thaobh suntasachta ar Vicipéid an Bhéarla (cf. en:Wikipedia:Notability_(books) mar shampla), ach creidim go mbeadh sé chun leas Vicipéid na Gaeilge polasaí níos réchúisí a chur i bhfeidhm. Ar Vicipéid na Breatnaise, glactar le leathanach a bhaineann le leabhar ar bith atá scríofa sa Bhreatnais, mar shampla (cf cy:Wicipedia:Amlygrwydd). Luíonn sé sin le réasún, dar liomsa, toisc nach bhfuil ach roinnt mílte leabhar i gceist acu (agus againne), i gcomparáid leis na milliúin i mBéarla. Bhur dtuairimí?
Ó thaobh suntasachta de, tá polasaí de facto níos leithne againn anseo le tamall anuas agus ábhar Éireannach i gceist, go mór mhór a bhaineann leis an Ghaeilge. Bheinn ar son polasaí foirmeálta a chur ar bun atá cosúil leis an bpolasaí sin acu ag Vicipéid na Breatnaise. Caithfidh go bhfuil a lán míreanna acu ag Wikimedia atá teorannta don Vicipéid úd, nach bhfuil? Maidir le pictiúir de chlúdaigh leabhar de chuid Choiscéim, nach gciallódh sin go mbeadh éinne faoin spéir ábalta iad a úsáid? Tá mé ag smaoineamh ar chipcheart. Buíochas ag gabháil leatsa agus le Ériugena as an méid oibre a bhíonn ar siúl agaibh (gan trácht ar dhaoine eile). SeoMac (plé) 08:25, 25 Meán Fómhair 2020 (UTC)
Míle buíochas, SeoMac! Pléifidh mé cúrsaí le hÉirugena; nílim cinnte faoi na cúrsaí cóipchirt ag an bpointe seo. Tá súil agam go mbeidh Coiscéim sásta na clúdaigh a chur ar fáil faoi CC/SA. Bheinn sásta le polasaí cosúil leis an gceann sa Bhreatnais freisin; b'fhéidir go ndéanfaidh mé iarracht aistriúchán a dhéanamh air sin, mar dhréacht ar aon nós. Beidh mé ar ais leat. Kevin Scannell (plé) 19:37, 27 Meán Fómhair 2020 (UTC)
Due to copyright issues, book and album covers are uploaded onto the gawiki rather than Commons. However, the 'Uaslódáil comhad' button (left) is directed to Commons rather than gawiki. Therefore it's impossible to upload files on a fair use licence. I note that there are many images uploaded on this open licence in Teimpléad:Clúdach leabhair, therefore I take it that this has been changed by WMF / Meta as there isn't as yet an Irish Fair use policy / non-free policy. If it's desirable then we can redirect the 'Uaslódáil comhad' link from Commons to gawiki.
Llywelyn2000 (plé) 15:08, 1 Deireadh Fómhair 2020 (UTC)"
Ériugena (plé) 10:04, 14 Deireadh Fómhair 2020 (UTC)
- The upload of images was changed sometime around 2016-2017. I was never able to find out why the upload procedure was changed or who or how it was changed. At the time of the change, only administrators were able to upload images as "Fair use" to the Vicipéid, and I suppose that remains so.
- Guliolopez suggested to me instead that I just upload any images to Commons.
I don't want to spend time needed to do that, given other editing priorities.
I did upload some images to Vicipéid prior to the change.
It is very frustrating for me now to see "fair use" images on the Wikipedia in English of particular relevance to Gaeilge and feeling muzzled. Images are the single quickest way to brighten up Vicipéid articles and don't even require mastery of the written language.
TGcoa (plé) 00:39, 11 Samhain 2020 (UTC)
- Yes, you are right and many of us feel the same way. From what I know, global WMF policy meant that local wikis were locked out for local image upload from 2017, until they could institute a proper Fair Use policy. We had a kinda half-baked one, so we got shut out. m:Non-free content on Meta covers this. However, the editors here are working on this, and if you check out Vicipéid:Halla baile#Leabhair de chuid Coiscéim, you can weigh in on the local policy changes we're driving towards. If we can set up a policy to handle, I will go to the devs and ask them to update our wiki config, and re-enable local uploads for fair-use images - Alison ❤ 00:52, 11 Samhain 2020 (UTC)
Images and WD Bosca Sonraí DuineCuir in Eagar
Hi again Alison ... thanks for answer just above
I see you have been applying WD Bosca Sonraí Duine with good effect. Just is it possible to ensure take a quick look at the article after and ensure images remain correctly placed?
Usually all images on the right hand side need to be moved left... should be easy ǃ (example would be Kemal Ataturk ... )
On another issue, some of the Bosca Sonraí Duine grammar is incorrect. For example it occasionally seems to add a random séimhiú. Who would be a good person to talk to about this ?
Another issue is that some of Sonrai can be ridiculously long... eg Thomas Mann with a list of all his books.
GRMA Ciarán TGcoa (plé) 01:00, 11 Samhain 2020 (UTC)
- Will do indeed. I did some more tonight, and tried to shift them right where appropriate. I'll always delete them, too, if they're duped in the WD infobox. As to the grammar, much of what you see is sucked in from WikiData, so check there for correctness. If you click on "page info" on the left, you should see all the WikiData elements that are being called, and you can click through and edit them. There's also a way to auto-collapse those lists - I just need to see if I can find it - Alison ❤ 05:55, 12 Samhain 2020 (UTC)
THanks for that info. More generally, when there is a half-decent info box already there, I would be wary of applying the Bosca Sonrai template. An example is Alastair I na Rúise, that you recently modified.
The images were jumbled up and sent to the bottom. That would be easy to fix for me.
But the prior infobox here was OK and for me. But when Bosca Sonrai replaces it, there is too much information in there for me... notably there is too much duplication of information within the box that makes it hard and boring to read. It seems in some other languages that they have templates that are much more concise, readable and relevant (eg no long lists of books or repetition of family members). THanks TGcoa (plé) 01:15, 2 Nollaig 2020 (UTC)
Maidir le Polasaí na SuntasachtaCuir in Eagar
Aon scéal faoin bPolasaí Suntasachta.... an bhfuil sé ceadaithe agus curtha i bhfeidhm ag Riarthóirí na Vicipeide go fóill? Ériugena (plé) 23:12, 9 Nollaig 2020 (UTC)
Bosca Sonrai ; Íomhanna ar chlé le bhur dtoilCuir in Eagar
Hi Alison, I see you are continuing to update articles with Bosca Sonrai, which is great.
Is it just possible to make sure that any pictures pushed to the bottom with overly long text boxes are shifted left (left and up, not right ǃ). This should be very quick and easy. e.g. "Peadar Mór" THanks...
fyi students in a class recently given task of creating Vicipéid pages and quality is quite variable
Beir bua ǃ
Ciarán TGcoa (plé) 00:41, 9 Feabhra 2021 (UTC)
- (Béarla le Béarla) - Hi Ciarán! Will do, although at the same time, I think they should be pushed out of the lede where possible. It looks pretty bad for a photo to appear immediately to the left and not further down the page. I will do my best to try keep things to the left, that said.
- There are bigger issues around WD Bosca Sonraí, and I need to deal with these, but it will require someone way more technically adept on the workings of module-space than I am. Basically, prizes/duaiseanna need to auto-collapse, as do a few other categories. I think it's important to have the data there, but the expanded look gives you those awful mile-long infoboxes. I'll work with the broader Wiki community and try get help on those. Same with the sub-categories for sports players (check out iománaiocht) which aren't even built out at all. That needs fixing too.
- My overall philosophy is to at least add the WD Boscaí and standardize on them, circling back to clean up the messy stuff in the module or Lua code. Fix one, fix all. What are your thoughts on this? I really believe that leveraging WikiData is the way to go. It's content for free, really - Alison ❤ 02:17, 9 Feabhra 2021 (UTC)
- PS - there's a discussion to be had about onboarding folks who may not have the standard of Gaeilge that's needed or expected, or of those who have been using Irish their entire lives but feel put off by the expectations or concerns around getting things exactly right. I put myself in the latter category which is why I dive into technical / formatting stuff, rather than content.